Yet it wasn’t unprecedented.
Cancel CNN’s Twitter account — that’s 140 characters or less. They just don’t know when to stop.
The network’s SOTU coverage included John King reading such insightful Tweets as “Go Obama, let’s do it!” and “This is painful to watch.” Indeed, CNN’s incessant pandering to technology is painful to endure. No one cares what Duane from Omaha thinks.
Unfortunately we should expect more mindlessness, as King and that infernal touch-screen board get their own weeknight show. CNN has already given Rick Sanchez, the journalistic equivalent of a Tweet, a second hour in the afternoons.
That time would be better spent reading Larry King’s Twitter feed: “What is it with people who don’t use turn signals?!?”
The Cuban Ted Baxter had quite a year. Admit it. You miss him.
Keith Olbermann has given voice to the voiceless, sanity to the madness, truth where lies are now a daily part of our political discourse. He felt passionate enough to contribute innocently as an private individual to three campaigns that he cared about.
If he goes we lose the Edward Murrow of our generation, the voice that spits truth to power and vested interests. I have devoted my entire adult life to truth telling. Without Olbermann, MSNBC can’t survive — and the voice of progress will fall to the dark ages, when one unholy church dictated a fictional version of the truth.
Re-instate Keith Olbermann now. I will personally pay his campaign contributions.
Don’t let this voice get lost when it is needed the most.
That would be the same Keith Olbermann who compared President Obama’s deal on tax cuts to Neville Chamberlain’s appeasement of the Nazis. Olbermann compares a lot of people to Nazis, which I’m pretty sure Edward R. Murrow never did.
- Russell Simmons: If Keith Olbermann Goes, So Do WE! (huffingtonpost.com)
- Keith Olbermann And Nazis: A Record Of Over The Top Hyperbole (mediaite.com)
Are Georgians better off than they were 8 years ago? Only if they’re named Sonny Perdue.
There’s a reason the governor refused to place his financial interests in a blind trust, bucking tradition. By the end of his first term, Perdue’s holdings had increased by more than one-third. You can bet his second term will prove more profitable.
Earlier this year we learned the governor personally intervened in a state Department of Transportation project involving a road that goes through his hometown and runs along land Perdue owns.
A spokesman for Perdue did not dispute that Perdue would benefit, like most citizens, from the overall road project but not from the shift in the alignment.
He saved his most audacious chicanery for last.
On Wednesday, the Board of Natural Resources agreed to pay $28.7 million for 10,015 acres of Oaky Woods wilderness in middle Georgia. Six years ago, the price was roughly the same — for the entire 20,000-acre tract.
By passing on the property in 2004, over the protests of environmentalists, the state allowed the pristine black bear habitat to pass into the hands of Houston County developers — whose plans to build a private city did wonders for local land prices.
The assessed value of 101 acres adjacent to the Oaky Woods property, purchased by Gov. Sonny Perdue a year or so earlier, more than doubled to $750,100.
Oops. Sorry. I forgot to mention Perdue’s interest in the transaction. Just like the governor forgot to mention it in 2004. The same governor who appoints Department of Natural Resources board members.
DragonCon – WOW wizard – m4m – 42 (Downtown)
Date: 2010-09-07, 11:42AM EDT
Reply To This PostYou – WOW blond wizard. Me – ancient wizard. You were pressing awfully hard into me during our photo. Just wondering if there was a lingering interest. Put your robe color in Subject Line of first email.
Sep 4 – Dragon Con – Alien vs Predator Interstellar Swinger Party – (Dragon Con – Sheraton)
“Tomorrow I meet Sarah Palin for the first time. I’m actually a little nervous as she is one of the only people that I can see that can possibly lead us out of where we are. I don’t know yet if she’s strong enough, if she’s well-enough advised or if she knows she can no longer trust anyone. I don’t know if she can lead and not lose her soul.”
Truly the most godforsaken pairing since Cindy Crawford and Billy Baldwin:
More like stalker.
“The central objective of this course will be to unravel some of the sociologically relevant dimensions of the fame of Lady Gaga,” the professor explains in the course description on his university website. The 300-level class will focus on business and marketing, media, sex, religious and political themes and other elements involved in the construction of fame.
Deflem told the campus newspaper that he became fascinated with the performer when he saw her on “The Tonight Show.”
“Other people say that Gaga’s the new Madonna,” Deflem said, according to a report in The Daily Gamecock. “But I don’t see it that way at all. I see it more like there’s people who have this very individual thing. Frank Zappa had it. Prince had it. Miles Davis had it. Jimi Hendrix had it,” he said.
“And Lady Gaga has it.”
Deflem has seen her perform 28 more times all around the world since the Atlanta show in 2009 and has met her five times, the Gamecock reported, adding that he owns hundreds of copies of her albums.
- Course in Lady Gaga offered at US university (telegraph.co.uk)
I don’t recall the Columbine killers invoking Jesus’ name as they executed their classmates. And, for the record, Timothy McVeigh was motivated by ideology, not religion.
If it makes Tavis Smiley feel better to think his faith is populated by as many dangerous extremists as Islam, fine. There was a time when he would’ve been right. But saying that in 2010 makes him an intellectual coward.
- Counselors will be available in all Texas public schools this week to help students with the tragic loss so much Gulf crude. #p2#sboe 5:26 PM May 3rd via TweetDeck
- On this day in 1954, the great Sen. Joe McCarthy captured the hearts of patriotic Americans during his televised Senate hearings. #p2#sboe 2:43 PM Apr 22nd via TweetDeck
- REMINDER: Texas public transit will not operate today so employees can celebrate Earth Day with their families. #sboe#p2#tcot 10:22 AM Apr 22nd via TweetDeck
- Texas government offices will close 2 hours early today in observance of the 17th anniversary of series debut of Walker, Texas Ranger. 4:03 PM Apr 21st via TweetDeck
- On this day in 1964, Che Stadium opened in freedom-hating New York City. #tcot#p2#sboe#savehistory 11:49 AM Apr 17th via TweetDeck
- Happy Birthday 50th bday John Schneider, who portrayed States’ Rights Activist Bo Duke in the CBS docudrama The Dukes of Hazzard. #p2#sboe 12:01 PM Apr 8th via TweetDeck
- On this day in 6000 B.C., God buried a dinosaur bone to test our faith. #sboe#savehistory#p2#texastextbooks
- Today in 1968, black socialist agitator Martin Luther King, Jr. visited Memphis to start trouble. #sboe#savehistory 9:52 AM Apr 3rd via TweetDeck
- On this day in ’81, Pres. Reagan used magical bracelets to deflect 5 of 6 bullets fired at him by Hollywood lesbian Jodie Foster. 9:47 AM Mar 30th via TweetDeck
- On this day in 1620, the Pilgrims landed at Plymouth Rock, near Galveston. #TexasTextbooks 4:09 PM Mar 16th via web
- On this day in 2005, conservative activist Terri Schiavo was murdered. #sboe#savehistory#tcot#p2 8:31 AM Mar 31st via Twitterrific
- On this day in 1918, Texas women gained the right to vote for their husbands’ preferred candidates in state primaries. http://bit.ly/b1LLib 10:44 AM Mar 26th via TweetDeck
- Is Kristy McNichol the Greta Garbo of tomboy child actresses?
- For years I thought Elton John and Olivia Newton-John were married, but of course that’s impossible since he’s British and she’s Australian.
- Just finished Paul Reiser’s “Couplehood” — it was every bit as delightful the fourth time. Next up: “The Bridges of Madison County.”
- How come Angela Lansbury never had sex on ‘Murder She Wrote?’ She was rich, attractive and always seemed to be going up in a hot air balloon.
- Bring back “Becker” — stat!
- Whenever I face a tough decision I ask myself, “What would Mike Farrell do?”
- I was skeptical, but “Step Up: 3D” is the best of the Step Up trilogy.
- Tyler Perry should remake “Patch Adams” with an African-American cast. “Patches Adams,” starring Will Smith — a blockbuster w/ heart.
- Is there an accent Kevin Costner hasn’t mastered?
- Why do so many “That’s Incredible!” fans refuse to recognize “Real People,” and vice-versa? I loved ‘em both.
- Words of wisdom from my good friend, Kenny Loggins: “I am not free if my freedom is predicated on reacting to my past.”
- The only tea party I care about is the one held at Rip Taylor‘s house each April.
- What if “Kate and Allie” had met “My Two Dads?
- Enough with these ridiculous rumors about John Travolta’s sexuality. I know for a fact that he couldn’t keep his hands off Dame Edna.
- I’m told Pat O’Brien is drinking again. You didn’t hear it from me.
- I wish I could meet the Fockers every holiday season. Finally, a role worthy of Robert DeNiro’s talents.
With a three-minute booty-shakin’ performance, the actor himself officially ended the era of Tom Cruise bashing. Oprah’s couch? Scientology? The eyepatch in ‘Valkyrie’? Fuhgeddaboudit! Cruise became definitively cool again with his live appearance, complete with swaggerific undone bow-tie and J-Lo as his dance partner.